The founders of the firm - Mr. Joseph and Mr.
John Taylor were both thoroughly practical men, the one
having served an apprenticeship as a saw maker, and the other as
a saw grinder.
Mr. Joseph served his time with Mr. John
Davenport, whose place of business was in Rockingham Street, and
subsequently he went into partnership with Mr. Davenport, Jr.
In a few years the connection was dissolved, and
in 1835 Mr. Taylor was joined by his brother, and under the
style of Messrs. Joseph and John Taylor, they commenced business