John Sorby & Sons became one of the most famous firms making
sheep shears and
woodworking augers for shipwrights in first part of 19th Century. The designs of these tools
In 1844, Lockwood Brothers acquired John Sorby & Sons and continued
to use their trade mark, name and factory at Spital Hill Works.
They capitalized on John Sorby & Sons' fame to the
The Hanging Sheep, a sign he later hung over the entrance to his
factory, was John Sorby's trade mark.